Red, yellow, and orange peppers along with fresh tomatoes and spinach are combined to make a fresh, hearty Italian-style sauce for farfalle pasta, or a gluten-free choice if you prefer. This is a recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 orange pepper, chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 2½ tsp dried basil, or a half to whole bunch of chopped fresh basil
- 3 to 4 cups of freshly washed baby spinach
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups or 6 to 8 servings of dry bowtie pasta (farfalle), or rice pasta for a gluten-free option
- Boil a large pot of water and cook pasta according to package directions while you are completing the next steps so that everything will be ready at the same time.
- Place first 7 ingredients in a medium-size pot and cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Vegetables should be cooked until tender and the skin from the tomatoes has peeled away.
- Once vegetables are done, use a handheld blender to pulse the sauce only 3 to 4 times so that some of it is puréed, but there are still chunks of vegetables. Then fold in handfuls of fresh spinach until all incorporated. Keep on low heat to reduce spinach. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and place into a baking dish. Pour the warm vegetable sauce on top of the pasta. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.