This easy recipe turns any pie into an elegant deep dish masterpiece. Starting with a simple butter crust recipe, the dough is then rolled out and pressed into a 9-inch, spring-form pan. Once baked, the thick golden pastry crust makes a beautiful showcase for your choice of fillings.
Yield: 9″ pie shell
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- 8 Tbsp or 1 stick salted butter, cold
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ice water
- Slice the cold butter into one-inch cubes.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and butter cubes together until the butter has blended into the flour. Then, gradually pour the cold water into the mixture as the processor is slowly going. As soon as the mixture forms into a dough ball, stop the food processor.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and form it into a ball. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- After one hour, roll out the dough out on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch spring-form pan with 3-inch sides. Place the dough into the pan, pressing it against the sides and along the bottom of the pan. Trim off any overhanging dough. Chill in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Once the filling is poured in, bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes (for Deep-dish Spicy Ginger Pumpkin Pie) or until crust is golden on sides and filling is cooked. For other fillings, cooking time will vary from 20-60 minutes.